I liked it because the only ingredients I needed to buy were the special gluten free cake mix, lemons (which my mom actually gave to me. She had some she wasn't using) and apple sauce (which I'll eat later on).
The recipe was pretty darn easy. I just combined all the ingredients into a bowl, mixed it using my Kitchen Aid mixer for a minute and poured it into a round cake pan. I might have taken mine out of the oven a bit too soon. I'd rather it be moist than burnt.
They turned out to taste very sponge-y. Like, I'd almost call it sponge cake. It didn't have an overpowering lemon flavor but perhaps that's because I'm not very good at zesting or juicing lemons.
Gluten Free & Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Cake
- 1 pkg Bob's Red Mill GF Vanilla Cake Mix (I went to Marc's grocery store in Westerville and I was able to buy this exact package)
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce (I used two packages of Mott's regular applesauce)
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup water, at room temperature
- Juice of one lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 Tbsp poppyseeds (I chose not to use poppyseeds in my recipe)
- FOR GLAZE:
- Juice of one lemon (about ¼ cup)
- Zest of one lemon
- About 2 cups powdered sugar
- Raspberries, lemon slices for garnish, optional (I didn't use raspberries)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Liberally grease a round 9" cake pan with vegetable-oil cooking spray
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, applesauce, oil, water, juice and zest and beat with a mixer for about 1 minute or until combined. Fold in the poppyseeds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for approx. 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Cool completely in the pan before gently turning over onto a wire rack set over wax paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth and pourable. You don't want it super thin, like water, but more syrupy and thicker, so adjust with more lemon juice or powdered sugar if needed. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and spread it out to the edges so the entire cake is covered. Serve garnished with raspberries and lemon slices, if desired.
- Serve immediately or store leftovers airtight at room temperature for up to 1 day.